Friday, April 16, 2010

small ranty post so I can get on with my day

Point #1: receiving a grumpy email first thing in the morning does not set a good tone for the day. If you see an email in your inbox and suspect it might be grump-inducing, save it for later. I'm just sayin'.

Point #2: These generic Facebook posts about Day of Prayer and Christmas Trees and Healthcare and all that stuff drive me crazy. They are all about getting people riled up, based on untruths, and never serve any purpose except to make people all righteous and uppity. What strikes me as ironic and also detrimental is that there are never any posts about, say, the awesomeness that is the separation of church and state, or the fact that anyone can have a Christmas tree and call it a Holiday Tree or Solstice Tree or anything they damn well please, because, hello, it's a FREE COUNTRY. That is what it means = you can say Happy Holidays if you don't celebrate Christmas. You can have an freaking St. Patty's Tree if you want. So why no Facebook posts saying, "I'm thrilled that my country holds millions of points of view and that we all get to learn from one another and increase our tolerance for "otherness"? This stuff drives me crazy.

Point #3: I am going on vacation on Sunday and apparently I need it, badly. Tears, anger, upset tummy, etc. All indications that perhaps a break is needed. One that includes a massage and a makeover and a trip to the museum and delicious smoothies and naps.

Yep, that's about the size of it.

6 comments:

Stefanie said...

Sorry your day got off to a bad start. At least it's Friday and you have a vacation to look forward to. I hope the vacation is bliss inducing :)

Daphne said...

It will be! I am going to call the day spa around the corner right now! :)

Theresa said...

I have some spa gift certificates for a massage and a mani/pedi that I'm going to be cashing in here soon too. Those facebook posts... ugh. I'm over them!! And it's no use trying to point out to anyone that diversity is beautiful. OH NOES! So I just 'hide' their little comments from myself. My dr. says stress is a no no for me for awhile!

Anonymous said...

Keep breathing. Just B-R-E-A-T-H-E, s---l---o---w---l---y. This, too, shall pass. Love you - Mommy

Lara Starr said...

Enjoy your vacation sweets, and I'm going to be grateful that my FB circle does not include anyone who posts these kinds of things. I've got a couple of conservatives and/or Christians, but they're pretty well behaved.

Daphne said...

Thanks!

La: yes, be thankful. I know I'm from a small logging town with a history of fighting public library development and taking away college scholarships from kids because they are gay and/or did not go through the forestry program, but come on, people, do you have to play to type so *literally*?